Starting at the Carpark of Slievemore graveyard, follow the track west which will take you along the base of Slievmore, past the white stone quarry and into
the village of Dooagh returning by the same track to the car park.
Trekking shoes, raingear, fluid and mobile phone
The Deserted village
Although abandoned as a permanent settlement sometime
in the late 19th century, the deserted village at Slievemore, Achill Island, was used as a 'booley village' well into the 20th century (some accounts suggest as recently as the 1940s). A booley village is one that is occupied for only part of the year, for
instance for the summer months to allow cattle to graze on fresh pasture. Booleying was common on Achill Island in former times, and Slievemore is but the largest of many other former booley settlements on the island.
Ordnance Survey of Achill Island, carried out in 1838, indicates that the village at Slievemore was inhabited. However, less than 20 years later, and following the Great Famine, a correspondent writing about the Rev. Nangle's Protestant Mission at Dugort makes
reference to a deserted village nearby: "In approaching the Colony [Nangle's Mission], the roads wind along the base of Slievemore. Here the ruins of a Deserted Village strike the eye unpleasantly, and should be removed, as they disadvantageously occupy the
ground". (Howard, J.E., 1855, 'The Island of Saints')